Genesis 1 (KJV)
Bible: most influencial book ever written (collection of 66 books)
Genesis: the foundation and building block of all 66. "ORIGIN" of ALL history, truth and Biblical understanding
Genesis: quoted over 200 times in the NT with never a hint that it was not taken literally!
Genesis: cannot be removed, ignored or considered as myth
A person who truely believes Genesis will have no trouble believing the rest of the Bible.
If God really created ALL things, then HE controls all things and can do all things
Genesis: origins of: universe, order, complexity, our solar system, atmosphere, hydrosphere, life, mankind, marriage, evil, language, government, culture, nations, religion, the chosen people, etc.
Who wrote it? Moses was the compiler or he personally received the text from God Himself.
Gen. 2:4 These are the generations of the heavens and the earth.
Gen. 5:1 These are the generations of Adam.
Gen. 6:9 These are the generations of Noah.
Gen. 10:1 These are the generations of sons of Noah.
Gen. 11:10 These are the generations of Shem.
Gen. 11:27 These are the generations of Terah.
Gen. 25:12 These are the generations of Ishmael.
Gen. 25:19 These are the generations of Isaac.
Gen. 36:1 These are the generations of Esau who is Edom.
Gen. 36:1 These are the generations of Esau, father of the Edomites.
Gen. 37:2 These are the generations of Jacob.
The creation of the universe took place 5 days before the creation of man?
1. (DAY 1) In the beginning(2) God(1) created(5) the heaven(3) and the earth(4).
(1) Who is this God? Can we know Him?
(Romans 1:20) For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse!
Elohim! Triune One God! I AM! The only true "pre-historic" cause.
vs. 26 - "in OUR image (triune)"
vs. 27 - "in HIS image"
(2) time - space - matter (triune universe)
(3) triune heaven (plural noun used to name a triune reality)
(5) "bara" (created from nothing)
vs. 1 - the foundation of the foundational chapter
AND (in continuing succession)
2a. And the earth [matter] was without form(6), and void(7); and darkness(9) was upon the face of the deep(8).
(6) just basic elements so far - no star or planets
(7) not suitable yet for fish, animals, trees, mankind, etc
He is in the process of creating the earth to be inhabited and placed under the dominion of mankind.
(8) "waters" and "the deep" are synonymous. And everywhere the "deep" was, there was darkness
(9) God had not yet added physical light to the creation process
The elements of matter and molecules of water were present, but not yet ENERGIZED
At this point: no gravity, no electromagnetic forces.
The physical universe had come into existence, but everything was still and dark. No form, no motion, no light. Awaiting activation.
2b. And the Spirit of God moved(10) upon the face of the waters.
(10) A powerful statement. The word "spirit" is the same as "wind" or "breath". Now we see the Spirit of God (3rd person of the Godhead) energizing every part of the creation.
The Spirit "moved/vibrated" in such a way as to begin the creation of light waves, heat waves, sound waves, gravity.
The outflowing energy from the work of the Spirit began to flow outward into the entire cosmos. Creating innumerable star and planets.
There is another "moving" of the Spirit of God mentioned in the Bible. "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man; but holy men of God spake as they were 'moved' by the Holy Spirit. (II Peter 1:21))
As God energized the beginning of the universe to bring form and life to His Creation, He later did the same to empower His prophets to bring into life His perfect Word.
3. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
These are the first recorded words spoken by God
This is not the sun. God does not require the sun for there to be life.
Knowing that light would be needed to bring life to His creative process.
4. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
This is probably the moment the earth started spinning on its axis
The matter began moving to form a great sphere. Elements, water, land, light.
This sphere is to become the home to plants, animals and mankind.
As we read Genesis, we discover God created everything in 6 days! Why not one second?
5. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
He gives names to the light and the darkness.
He gives a very plain definition to the first evening and morning.
Evolution and Creation are total opposites and can not co-exist!
6. (DAY 2) And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
He now separates the water into 2 distinct locations and for 2 distinct purposes, placing "space" between them.
7. And God made the firmament(11), and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
(11) This process is completed. Now there is a great expanse of "space" separating the two bodies of water.
Both bodies of water were opened and poured out on the earth during Noah's flood.
8. And God called the firmament Heaven(12). And the evening and the morning were the second day.
(12) triune heaven. Firmament, space, atmosphere, the Heaven are synonymous.
(from Genesis 2:5+6) "for the Lord had not caused it to rain upon the earth" "But there went up a mist from the earth"
The earth was like a perfect greenhouse. Perfect temperatures. No harsh winds or storms. No rain, just a daily mist. Vegetation everywhere and no barren deserts or ice caps.
He again gives the definition of an evening and morning.
9. (DAY 3) And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
The waters under the firmament are gathered together in such a way as to create dry areas of matter.
10. And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
He names the dry land and the bodies of water that are below the great firmament.
11. And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
God spoke a command to His creation. The grass, herbs and trees were created with seeds to allow them to multiple.
12. And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
And His command was obeyed.
13. And the evening and the morning were the third day.
The definition of an evening and morning.
14. (DAY 4) And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
The sun, moon and stars now take shape.
15. And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
He tells us the purpose of these lights.
16. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
Specifically, He tells use the primary purpose of the sun and the moon.
17. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
The sun, moon and stars are set into place.
18. And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
He tells us it is good for the periods of day and night to be separated into their rightful places.
19. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
The definition of an evening and morning.
20. (DAY 5) And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
Everthing to bring forth after its "abundantly".
21. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
Everthing to bring forth after its "abundantly" and after their "kind".
22. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill(13) the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
(13) God very plainly says to His sea creatures and fowls of the air that they are to be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the seas
23. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
There can be no doubt how long a "day" was.
8. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10. But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11. For [because] in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
God Challenges Job (Job 38:1-4)...
1. Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
2. Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
3. Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
4. Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
24. (DAY 6) And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
God spoke into existence every kind of animal that would live on the dry land and told made them to reproduce only after their own "kind".
25. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
He spoke it, and it was so.
26. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness(14): and let them have dominion(15) over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
(14) Our likeness: Body, soul and spirit.
(15) Mankind was created to have dominion over all the creatures of the land, sea and air.
27. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
The procreation process requires male and female.
28. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
29. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
30. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
31. And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
1. (DAY 7) Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
4. These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens